Yearly Meeting Statements
From time to time, Quakers in Aotearoa/New Zealand have felt it necessary to issue statements on topical issues of social concern. These arise from our long-held Testimonies of peace, integrity, simplicity and equality, and are often prepared at Yearly Meetings. They may be published as embodying the current view of the national body. Links to the statements are given below.
Yearly Meeting Statements:
- WALKING IN THE LIGHT A Quaker statement of commitment and inclusion
- QUAKER CALL TO ACTION AFTER COVID-19 a vision for the future issued June 2020
- LETTER TO FEDERATION OF ISLAMIC ASSOCIATIONS sent from Yearly Meeting expressing our condolences and support to the Muslim community after the loss of 50 lives on Friday 15 March 2019 in a terrorist attack on two Christchurch mosques.
- LEST WE FORGET 2014 – Statement from the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), Yearly Meeting of Aotearoa New Zealand, Te Hāhi Tūhauwiri, May 2014. On the eve of commemorations of World War I, Quakers in Aotearoa New Zealand are concerned that history is not reinvented to glorify war.
- ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY 2000
- TOWARDS TRANSFORMATIVE JUSTICE 1999
- BI-CULTURAL ISSUES 1988
- SOCIAL CONCERN 1998
- AFFIRMATION OF SAME SEX RELATIONSHIPS 1992
- VIOLENCE 1987
- PEACE 1987